Invasive Species Removal at UVic Bowker Creek Headwaters- October 22, 2023
Highlights From The Day
- 31 amazing members of the community joined us and contributed about 100 volunteer hours!
- Thank you to everyone for participating: Daniel, Amanda, Jordan, Liz, Issac, Alison, Rena, Walter, Mimi, Dalton, Chloe, Ines, Kristen, Brodie, Rupert, Jin, Jason, Payton, Madi, Julien, Clarisse, Benjamin, John, Juliana, Rob, Haoyue, Neko, Joseph, Alena, and Xiaosheng
- Together our team:
- Removed a volume of 8 cubic metres (approximately 50 bathtubs full) of invasive plant material!
- Revitalized about 500 square metres of the forest along 148 metres of Alumni Chip Trail!
- Scroll down to see before and after photos, as well as some in-action shots!
- All ages, backgrounds, and experience levels were engaged including families, returning Green Team volunteers, and first-timers!
- 8 people removed invasive plants for the first time
- 20 people were introduced to this park through this activity
- 11 participants were UVic students who came to help revitalize their campus!
Our Community Investment Partner, the University of Victoria Campus Planning and Sustainability, provided direction and funding to make this activity possible!
Before & After Photos
Why Do We Do This Work?
The Greater Victoria Green Team organizes hands-on educational activities that have a positive environmental impact to empower people. Through activities such as invasive plant removals, plantings, litter cleanups and more, we are fostering connections with others and nature so that health and well-being is prioritized, lifelong environmental stewardship is promoted, and community members are enabled to take care of themselves, each other and the places they live. We all have the power to make a difference!
By being out in nature doing something positive as a team, our community members:
- Develop a sense of belonging to community and place
- Have improved mental and physical health
- Connect to nature, which leads to environmentally responsible behaviour
- Learn about local environmental issues and actions they can take
- Learn the value of bringing together people to work towards a common goal
- Become leaders in their communities
- Increase confidence, resilience and perseverance
Partner For This Activity
A big thank you to the University of Victoria Campus Planning and Sustainability office for partnering with our charity, Green Teams of Canada and providing the financial support and direction to make this activity possible!
Thank you for recognizing the importance of collaboration in community engagement and ecological restoration! Together we are restoring habitat and creating connected, healthy and resilient communities engaged in environmental stewardship!
Learn more about UVic Campus Planning and how to become more involved with their organization on their website.
Community In Action!
Thank you to the fantastic local eco-friendly business LUSH that donated In-kind products for our hard-working community members to take home!
Our community members took home a thank you gift from one of our in-kind supporters! If you have any suggestions for sustainable/eco-friendly rewards, know of or own a business who would like to provide in-kind to our Green Team, please contact Kaitlin at
This activity was run by our Program Manager, Kaitlin Warren (far left).