As part of Earth Week, the Greater Victoria Green Team coordinated a large youth-focused and community environmental volunteer activity at Pit House Park in Colwood! In total 144 students, teachers and community members participated and removed about 10 cubic metres of invasive Himalayan Blackberry and a bit of Scotch Broom!
A big thank you to the Municipality of Colwood for supporting our Green Team activities in your community! The funding made it possible to organize this activity, and other Green Team activities in Colwood this year!
Thanks to all GVGT volunteers for making a big difference: Students and Teachers from Dunsmuir Middle School, plus the amazing community volunteers who attended including: Phaedra, Chris, Chris, Zach, and Jason – a councillor of Colwood!
Our amazing community of eco-heroes!
- 144 community members participated including 133 students and 6 teachers from Dunsmuir Middle School, plus 5 awesome community members including a Colwood Councillor! . We contributed 167 volunteer hours in total!!!
- 35 of the volunteers had never been to Pit House Park before
- 67 volunteers had never removed Himalayan Blackberry before (that means we introduced 70% of the participants to removing blackberry)
- We removed 10 cubic metres of invasive plants!
- We revitalized an area measuring approx. 200 square metres
- This is the 4th time that Dunsmuir Middle School students participated. Check out what they did at the last activities:
Before and After photos
Volunteers in Action