The Greater Victoria Green Team organized a volunteer and community engagement activity in Sidney at Robert’s Bay Park. It was the very first GVGT activity in Sidney, and it was a huge hit! More than 40 people participated and cleared over 10 cubic metres of invasive plants from the park.
Thank-you to everyone who participated: Ania, Cathryn, Chad, Chris and Laura, Clark, Cui, Dennis, Derek, Elaine, Helena, Huang, Jialu, Joan, Jocelyn, Kelvin, Kerry, Kevin, Leisheng, Li, Liz, Lynda, Rheona, Riley, Roger, Rong, Scott, Shangdi, Shaodong, Tian, Tom, Xie, Xinghong, Yingxin, Yixuan, Yizhang, Yu, Yuxiang and Yvonne.
Thank you very much to the Town of Sidney Parks Department for providing funds to this activity! A special thanks to the Parks’ Department Managers – Brian and Cliff for recognizing the importance of collaboration and partnership! Your support made it all possible.
Thank you very much to the Sidney Community Association for your passion, appreciation and hard-work! It was great meeting you all!
Thank-you to Starbucks in Sidney for donating coffee, and Sidney Bakery for offering a discount on your delicious baked goods! Thank you to our in-kind sponsors for providing thank-you gifts to our volunteers: West Coast Seeds for providing veggie and flower seeds, and Camino Chocolate for providing chocolate. Plus our granola bars were donated by the awesome Nature’s Path
- 43 volunteers participated and contributed 140 volunteer hours
- 33 volunteers had never been to Robert’s Bay Park before!
- 35 of the volunteers were introduced to removing invasive English Ivy!
- We removed 12 cubic metres of English Ivy (and some holly and blackberry) from an area measuring approximately 350 square metres.
- We removed approximately 80% of the invasive plants from the park! Way to go!
- We had a group from the Saanich Community Association – thanks so much for attending and all of your support for community engagement!
- We had a group of students from the Beifang Leadership Program. The students are all from China and are here in Victoria for three months participating in leadership activities! Welcome!
What participants said about their experience“
Amanda has a gift of organizing groups of all sizes and making everyone feel welcome and appreciated. Thank-you!
Before and After photos
Volunteers in Action