Esquimalt Gorge Park October 5, 2019
The Greater Victoria Green Team co-organized a blackberry event alongside Esquimalt Parks Staff in Esquimalt Gorge Park! Community of all ages came out to lend a hand and protect newly planted trees from the invading blackberry!
Thank-you to everyone for participating: Alaa, Anamika, Anika, Apurva, Braidon, Cameron, Carolyn, Cathie, Chris, Emma, Fiona, Isaac, John, Jordan, Marena, Mieka, Mohamed, Phaedra, Rosanna, Ruby, Samuel, Sebastien, Teri and Timothy!
Thank you very much to the Township of Esquimalt for supporting the Green Team efforts to engage community in the care of local habitat! Thank you to the Esquimalt Parks staff for all your hard work!
Find out about other Esquimalt Branch Out activities HERE.
- 24 volunteers participated and contributed 72 volunteer hours!
- 17 volunteers had never been to Esquimalt Gorge Park before!
- 12 volunteers had never removed Blackberry before!
- We removed 11 cubic metres of invasive plants (mostly blackberry)
- The majority of the volunteers came from Saanich (8), and the rest came from Victoria (6), View Royal (3), Central Saanich (2), Colwood (2), Langford (1), Esquimalt (1), Oakbay (1) and Sooke (1)
What people said about their experience
The fact that even though the weather was gloomy, everyone’s mood was bright and awesome! Made the experience worth it and would definitely come back to another event 🙂
Before and After photos
Volunteers in Action