- In total 91 youth, 4 teachers, 4 parent volunteers and 1 community member participated and contributed to 126 volunteer hours!
- All youth, teachers and volunteers were introduced to Lagoon West Park, while 98 volunteers had never removed invasive species before!
- We removed 45 cubic metres of invasive plants!
Before and After Photos
- Develop a sense of belonging to community and place
- Have improved mental and physical health
- Connect to nature, which leads to environmentally responsible behaviour
- Learn about local environmental issues and actions they can take
- Learn the value of bringing together people to work towards a common goal
- Become leaders in their communities
- Increase confidence, resilience and perseverance
“My students definitely enjoyed the competitive-nature of our experience (one class versus another class to see who could remove more in a given amount of time). My students also very much enjoyed the snacks provided at the end and some of them felt a sense of accomplishment.”
“I enjoyed watching the children working and playing in their community. I loved listening to their conversations”