As part of the launch event for National Volunteer Week, the Greater Victoria Green Team, The Land Conservancy of BC, and CRD Parks spent the day laying cardboard on top of invasive St. John’s Wort to help suppress the growth of this weed. We also hunted for new re-growth of Himalayan Blackberry and found a patch of Scotch Broom we worked on!
A big thank you to the the The Land Conservancy of BC for partnering with us and supporting our efforts on sites managed by TLC this year through funding!
Thanks to all GVGT volunteers for making a big difference: Conway, Helena, Karen, Joseph, Phaedra, Cathie, Marc, Keith, Chris, Lisa, Veronica, Jennifer, Jenn, David, David, Ty, Brian and Hirotaka!
Check out the report from our last volunteer activity at Atkins Restoration Area on January 29, 2017 HERE
Our amazing community of eco-heroes!
- 26 community members participated including 18 GVGT volunteers, and TLC and CRD Parks staff and volunteers. GVGT volunteers contributed 68 volunteer hours.
- 14 out of 18 GVGT volunteers were introduced to Atkins Restoration Area
- 15 volunteers had never removed St. John’s Wort before!
- We removed 2 cubic metres of invasive plants!
- We sheet mulched an area measuring approximately 150 square metres!
- We enjoyed a buffet of delicious finger foods for lunch and coffee too!
- At the end of the day, everyone took home gifts from MEC – sporks and bike lights. TLC handed out gifts of reflectors too!
Before and After photos
Volunteers in Action