- In total 11 community members participated and contributed to 32 volunteer hours!
- All 11 volunteers were introduced to Lund Rd Protection Area, while 5 volunteers had never removed invasive species before!
- We removed 5.5 cubic metres of invasive plants!
- There was a friendly kitten that kept us company throughout the activity!
Before and After Photos
- Develop a sense of belonging to community and place
- Have improved mental and physical health
- Connect to nature, which leads to environmentally responsible behaviour
- Learn about local environmental issues and actions they can take
- Learn the value of bringing together people to work towards a common goal
- Become leaders in their communities
- Increase confidence, resilience and perseverance
” The program is a great way to learn about invasive plants, how to remove them, be part of community, and I really enjoy finding out about new parks since I’m newish to the island. With invasives it is hard sometimes to feel it’s long term impactful as they are tenacious. But like every drop of water makes the ocean bigger, so too do Green Team efforts make a difference.” – Michele
” Well organized and friendly, it was great to meet like minded people from around the community! Removal of invasive species is paramount to the protection of native ecosystems. I think this program helps make this task a community endeavor which is important in raising awareness of the issue” – Travis