On Saturday, September 26th over 30 people sign up to volunteer with the Greater Victoria Green Team, in partnership with Friends of Uplands Park. We crossed our fingers for the rain to hold off, which it did… until it didn’t. Most of our volunteers stayed dry except for the few that stayed till the bitter end to help clean up. Luckily, it didn’t deter us in our efforts to pull Daphne, an invasive species threatening the park. In total 31 people volunteered their time, logging more than 50 hours – wow!
Thank you to our volunteers: Alaa, Alex, Anu, Arthur, Dean, Brandon, Rosanna, Carmina, David, Eric, Fritha, Johanna, Jonah, Mieka, Teja, Klya, Liz, Mathew, Mohamed, Dennis, Richard, Siena, Shauna, Sonia, Ashley, Suzie, Tiago, Timmy-Rose, Daniel. You are Daphne-pulling, rain-weathering rock stars! Thank you for giving your time, resources and energy to restoring Uplands Park. Your work makes a huge difference in what we are able to accomplish as a community. Thank you.
Thank you to Oak Bay for being an incredible partner! With your support the GVGT is able to continue engaging community while giving back to the environment. Fulfilling our mission is dependent on you – thank you!
A Photo Albums from the day are found here: 1st Session & 2nd Session!
- In total 31 GVGT volunteers came out to help remove Daphne, totalling 52 hours!
- 2 cubic metres of invasive Daphne was removed from an area of 200 square metres!
- 15 people were introduced to Uplands Park and 14 people had never pulled invasive Daphne!
- Volunteers reported feeling welcomed and appreciated as well as safe and left feeling accomplished.
- Thank you to our in-kind sponsors who donated thank you gifts to our community: EarthRated dog poop bags, tea lights from Honey Candles, Lush hard perfume and West Coast Seeds.
This program connects people with nature which is harder for many in highly developed urban areas. It also connects people with green spaces they might not know about and teaches them about biodiversity and why it is important to maintain biodiversity in threatened areas.
It was wonderful volunteering with the Greater Victoria Green Team today! The group has great energy and I had a lot of fun!