To volunteer at activities click on “join us” button on our team Meetup pages:
Seeking Board Members!
Are you interested in the environment and empowering communities? Then we want you on our team!
We are a charity with a mission to connect, build and empower diverse communities through hands-on activities that promote health, well-being and environmental stewardship. When people engage in hands-on environmental projects they:
- Develop a sense of belonging to community and place;
- Connect to nature which cultivates a deeper respect for nature and leads to better mental health and wellness;
- Build life skills like critical thinking, leadership and teamwork;
- Becoming aware of civic responsibility and the role they can play improving the environment and strengthening their community;
- Support local ecosystems by improving ecosystem health and resiliency.
Activities are run through two programs: Lower Mainland Green Team and Greater Victoria Green Team. These activities include identifying and removing invasive plants, planting native plant species, picking up litter, and preparing and harvesting vegetable beds. GTC’s culture and values include: honest and open communication, working as a team, innovation,diversity and equity, self-care and accountability. We recently created our 2020-2025 strategic plan which includes growing our Board.
About the Board
Our board is composed of individuals with a diverse skill set and a common goal of working together to bring our strategic plan to life.
- Aligned with GTC’s mission and its culture and values;
- Kind, compassionate, self-aware and have a desire to seek feedback, learn and grow;
- Organized and manage timelines, goals and expectations well;
- Truly interested in supporting the growth of this charity, and excited to devote time and energy to supporting GTCs strategic direction.
You are looking to:
- Share your expertise, knowledge and learned experience;
- Develop new skills while deepening existing ones;
- Strengthen your leadership skills;
- Expand your social and professional networks;
- Be a mentor;
- Support and strengthen your community.;
- Be part of taking GTC to the next level!
Who we are looking for
We are looking for Board members who are interested in rolling up their sleeves and getting involved on the Board to bring its 5 year strategic plan to life.
Board members can live in anywhere in Canada.
Board members with expertise, knowledge and/or learned experiences in the following areas will help strengthen GTC’s ability to fulfil its mission:
- Indigenous culture and community
- Resource development (raising sustainable funding)
- Corporate sponsorship
- Human resources
- Marketing and Public Relations
- Government relations
- Database management and optimization
Previous board experience, while not necessary, is desirable.
We aim for our Board to encompass diverse voices, backgrounds and perspectives.
This voluntary commitment involves attending six virtual annual board meetings (one every two months) and working directly on initiatives that support our 5-year strategic plan (approximately 8-12 hours each month). A board term is 3 years.
This Board member will have an extraordinary opportunity to contribute to the oversight and continued development of an inclusive organization with a reputation as an innovative and collaborative up and coming environmental and community focused charity.
Responsibilities of a GTC board member
- Provide strategic leadership
- Be knowledgeable about GTC’s mission, vision, values, programs and long-range objectives
- Monitor and assess organizational performance
- Ensure GTC has sufficient resources to carry out its mission
- Understand the fiscal implications of decisions
- Share knowledge, engage in critical thought and meaningful conversation around complex social and environmental issues
- Work closely with other directors and be part of at least one standing committee – the Sustainable Funding Committee, HR Committee and/or Finance Committee
- Actively engage in board meetings
- Be an ambassador and promote GTCs work in the community
- Support the Chair and Executive Director
- Ensure no conflicts of interest exist and that duties are upheld
How to Apply
If you feel GTC is a great fit for you, we would love to hear from you.
- Why you wish to be a GTC board member;
- How you can support GTC (expertise, knowledge and/or learned experiences); and
- Which standing committee(s) you are interested in joining (Sustainable Funding Committee, HR Committee and/or Finance Committee).
This posting will remain open until positions are filled.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest in the Green Teams of Canada!
- Build our media and outreach contact database
- Post green team activities on online calendars
- Contact media with details about upcoming activities
- Run a green team table at festivals and environmental events
- Provide Communications Plan input
- Post on our social media accounts
- Build our funder database
- Provide Fundraising Plan input
- Research new funding avenues
- Create and do presentations at schools about the importance of taking care of our environment
- Provide input on green team educational materials
- Help run green team activities (unpack and pack green team activity supplies, supervise, sign participants in, educate about invasive species identification and removal techniques and native specie planting)
- Take photos of volunteers in action
- Take before and after photos at green team activities
We are flexible regarding time commitment for each opportunity