Homer Covenant Area September 28, 2019
The Greater Victoria Green Team and Habitat Acquisition Trust co-organized a community volunteer event in the Homer Covenant Area near Sooke Potholes. We spent the day removing loads of invasive Scotch Broom from this important habitat that supports a range of species like bear, cougar, deer and more!
Thank-you to everyone for participating: Ben, Brian, Catrien, Claudia, James, Karen, Kate, Lori, Margaret, Marjorie, Rosemary, Sofia, Sophie, Stephane, Wylie, and Zitian!
Thank you very much to the Habitat Acquisition Trust for partnering with the Green Teams! Thank you to Wendy, for organizing the day and supporting this partnership!
- 17 volunteers participated and contributed 85 volunteer hours
- 12 volunteers had never been to Homer Covenant before!
- 4 volunteers had never removed Scotch Broom before!
- We removed 10 cubic metres of Broom and other invasive plants!
- Volunteers came from: Sooke area (6 people), Victoria (3), Saanich (2), Esquimalt (2), Langford (2) and 1 from N. Saanich
What people said about their experience
Keeping invasive species out allows for a diverse and healthy environment. Getting so many volunteers together can accomplish so much in a short period of time. Being able to maintain is key.
Fantastic day! Love meeting people and the end result of the day.
A great opportunity to learn more about the natural world, a great opportunity to connect with others who share the same values and actually helping out the environment, even if just in a small way.
The welcoming atmosphere, the organization, and the beauty of the site.
Before and After photos
Volunteers in Action