The Greater Victoria Green Team spent the day planting 170 native trees and shrubs, and removing an assortment of invasive plants from Esquimalt Gorge Park as part of their Branch Out event!
Thank-you to everyone who participated: Annie, Cailee, Carolyn, Cedar, Christophe, Esther, Jeremy, Jon, Kai, Karen, Kris, Mira, Moran, Moraine, Nahele, Oki, Patricia, Riley, Rob, Robb, Satoe, Shoma, Simon and Tom!
Thank you very much to the Township of Esquimalt for funding this activity and other Green Team volunteer activities in Esquimalt this year!
Thank you to our in-kind sponsors for providing thank you gifts to our volunteers: West Coast Seeds for providing veggie and flower seeds, Camino Chocolate for providing chocolate. Plus our granola bars were donated by the awesome Nature’s Path
- 24 GVGT volunteers participated and contributed 74 volunteer hours
- 17 volunteers had never been to Esquimalt Gorge Park before!
- 20 of the volunteers were introduced to planting native shrubs!
- We removed approximately 2 cubic metres of invasive plants, planted 170 native shrubs and trees and revitalized an area measuring approx. 300 square metres
- In total, we have had 8 GVGT activities in Esquimalt Gorge Park. Read the reports from our last activities below:
What participants said about their experience
“Think it’s great to get people out learning about and helping in our parks. Plus local users of the park may be inspired to help with invasive plant removal when they see others doing this. The more you can get people out contributing to their communities the better.The sun on my back, the smell of the forest, and the sense of accomplishment by filling the big disposal bag and saving the world one blackberry cane at a time.”
“I feel this program makes a positive effect on our ways to involve in and contribute to the community, and our behavior toward the environment around us.”
Before and After photos
Volunteers in Action