Uvic Mystic Vale August 16, 2020
The Greater Victoria Green Team organized a GVGT volunteer activity in collaboration with the University of Victoria Campus Planning and Sustainability office in Mystic Vale Woods at UVic! This is part of an ongoing and long-term project to protect biodiversity in the woods by reducing the impact from invasive plants (mostly English Ivy!)
Thank-you to everyone for participating: Adam, Alex, Andre, Andrew, Azaria, Barbara, Conway, Derek, Erin, Gloria, Hannah, Helena, James, John, Jules, Keaton, Kitty, Lindsay, Lu, Matthew, Max, Mieka, Nancy, Nerissa, Richard, Rosanna, Sicily, Sina, Vicki and Zehui.
If you are interested in joining the volunteer efforts on campus, please go to the Uvic Ecological Restoration Club Facebook Group HERE
Thank-you very mucho the University of Victoria Campus Planning and Sustainability Office for partnering with the Green Teams and contributing to our activities on campus and for recognizing the importance of collaboration in community engagement and ecological restoration!
Group Photos (1st and 2nd sessions)!
- In total 33 volunteers participated and contributed 60 volunteer hours
- We removed 3 cubic metres of invasive plants from an area measuring approximately 280 square metres!
- 12 people had never been to UVic Mystic Vale Woods before!
- 14 had never removed invasive English Ivy before!
- Thank you to our in-kind sponsors who donated thank you gifts to our community: EarthRated dog poop bags, Green Beaver chap stick, HoneyCandles birthday candles, and West Coast Seeds
It was a lot of fun clearing out the ivy and then being able to step back and look at how much we got rid of.
People know invasives are harmful but may not know what to do about them, or how to properly identify them. Organising people to handle the problem.
Feeling very welcomed. Organizers and also participants are super nice.